This section outlines the special tools that manufacturers and distributors of wallcoverings may use to help interior designers locate the perfect wallcoverings for their residential or contract design projects. These services include:
- Showrooms may be owned/operated by a manufacturer or distributor.
- Manufacturer showrooms showcase the products of that manufacturer.
- Distributor showrooms feature products from the many manufacturers they may represent.
- Showrooms are typically located in the design center, merchandise mart or textile districtof many large and mid-sizes cities.
- At any showroom, interior designers may:
- View collections by that manufacturer or those represented by the distributor.
- Get specifics about products from knowledgeable showroom personnel.
- View samples books, view larger pieces of product and acquire samples.
- Order wallcoverings for interior design jobs.
- Showrooms also host designer events, like new collection launches and special
- Most showrooms are open only to the trade.
- To locate a local wallcovering showroom, call a wallcovering manufacturer or distributor or check local business listings.
- Commonly used by distributor sales representatives to show new wallcoverings lines to their customers.
- Boards contain swatches of the new line and can provide the specifics (type, materials, etc.) of the product.
- Tipcards show the entire color line of one particular wallcovering pattern.
- Tipcards are produced by the wallcoverings manufacturer, are generally held in binders and can be stored in the designer’s (or architectural firm, building facility, building contractor, etc.) product sample library.
- Used when an interior designer has a short list of wallcoverings that they are considering for a job.
- Once their selections are narrowed, or if a designer wants to see a particular pattern or color in greater detail, they may request a memo board from the wallcoverings manufacturer.
- A memo board holds an 8 x 10 sample of one wallcoverings sample and allows the designer to get a better feel for the scale, color, and feel of the wallcoverings.
To receive a presentation board, tipcard or memo set, contact a wallcoverings manufacturer or distributor – or visit a local wallcoverings showroom – for information.
Back to Commercial Wallcoverings Resource Center